Sorry for another soup recipe. We have had several snows this year, which means make soup to me! We are about to be hit with a major winter storm here in IL….lots of ice and snow 😦 I just pray we do not have a power outage!
This is a wonderful soup. This recipe came out of Simple Pleasures by Junior Welfare Association in Decatur, IL. We moved here in 1993…so I have been making it for a long long time and it still one of our favorites.
I will put in parenthesis what I did different.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or water (wine)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped, seeded and peeled (I use canned)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. oregano (1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp. basil (1 tsp)
- 1-8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (you can also use red pepper)
- 8 ozs. frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 cup zucchini, sliced (sliced the quartered slices)
- 3 T fresh parsley, chopped (did not add)
- grated Parmesan, if desired
- I added a pinch of red pepper flakes
Brown sausage in a soup pot. Drain. reserve 1 T. drippings. Saute onions and garlic in the drippings until tender. Add beef broth, wine, water, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim off fat from soup. Stir in tortellini , zucchini, parsley and green pepper. Simmer additional 35 – 40 minutes or until tortellini are tender. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on each serving if desired.
This is really good served with warm crusty bread. I meant to make the yummy Bubble Bread( https://relishfoodandlifewithjill.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/mahogany-beef-stew-with-red-wine-and-hoisin-sauce-herb-bubble-bread-yum/), but forgot to get the bread out to thaw.
Everyone stay safe and warm!
~Relish Food & Life