Wow, what a crazy busy 3 weeks! Sorry for the delay in posting. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I know I did….love spending time with family and friends.
I have been under the weather the past week. Last night I was wanting to cook something simple. This was super easy and very tasty.
I found this recipe in Jan/Feb 2012 Cooking Light magazine.
Chicken with Pepperoni-Marinara Sauce
- Cooking spray
2 Teaspoons3 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon1 heaping Tsp. dried oregano 1 1/2 cups24 oz Jar lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon’s) ( I used Paul Newman’s Marinara sauce) 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheeseFresh mozzarella slices
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Jill’s Notes: I did not have fresh basil or the mozzarella they suggested. I think if you have either of these the dish would taste just as good. I also upped the oregano, sauce and garlic a bit.
I really do not know what it means by Chicken cutlets. I looked at various stores and found these thinly sliced chicken breast and decided that would do 😉 After starting the recipe, It thought it might be tasty breaded. So, I breaded a few and just peppered the others. You do not need to salt the chicken. The sauce will have plenty salt in it from the pepperoni.
After the taste test…Grace liked the chicken breaded. I liked it both ways and Mark liked it without the breading. You really cannot go wrong. It is very tasty, kid friendly and tasted great again today for lunch 🙂
We have had some young people pass away the last month. My heart breaks for their families. It is a reminder that we need to relish life.
~Relish Food & Life!